The Supreme Court has acquitted Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) activists, Tungamirai Madzokere and Last Maengahama, of murder charges but they had already served 8 years out of 20 they had been given after they were convicted for allegedly murdering a police officer
The court ordered an immediate release from Chikurubi Prison where they had been detained since 2016.
The duo was represented by Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights lawyers who include Beatrice Mtetwa, Charles Kwaramba, Gift Mtisi and others.
- US$75 Million For Brothers Wrongfully Arrested And Convicted Of Rape And Murder
- Cop Convicted Of Murdering George Floyd Seeks New Trial
- Life In Prison For American Students Convicted Of Murdering Italian cop
- FULL TEXT: Haruzivishe To Appeal Against “Whistleblowing” Conviction And 36 Month-Long Imprisonment
- War Vets Sue ED Over $3.5 Billion White Farmers Compensation Deal
- Court Orders Matanga To Pay $56k Compensation For Police Misdemeanors
Opposition MDC Alliance said the duo was arrested for political reasons. Advocate Fadzayi Mahere, the party spokesperson said:
_2 MDC activists have been acquitted by the Supreme Court after spending 8 years in prison. Last &Tunga were punished, like many others, because they have different political views. This mindless persecution must end!_
Others are saying the MDC duo must be compensated for the time they spent in prison since they were wrongfully arrested and detained.
More: Pindula News