According to Zanu PF sources in the party, the Defence Ministry Deputy Minister and Zanu PF Political Commissar Victor Matemadanda was fired for the following 7 reasons:
- He was allegedly fanning factionalism in the party
- He was becoming too ambitious, by manipulating party structures to position himself ahead of the 2023 elections.
- He was reportedly also a victim of a factional war that pitted him against Mnangagwa’s allies in his home province of Midlands.
- Matemadanda was also accused of being big-headed and not respecting senior party officials deployed at the Zanu PF headquarters like Obert Mpofu, Patrick Chinamasa and the like.
- There were many reports against Matemadanda over the party’s chaotic DCC election polls last year, the manner in which he handled the polls which resulted in violence in some provinces did not please some party officials.
- The ruling party was reportedly unhappy with his utterances that embarrassed the party in the eyes of the international community that includes stating that the ruling party is decimating the opposition and they will not surrender this country.
- Matemadanda also angered the ruling party when he hosted some people from Mujuru and G40 during his graduation luncheon.
A source that spoke to the publication reportedly said Matemadanda was fired probably because he was working with other people calling themselves Gokwe boys as they were trying to bring down July Moyo and Owen Ncube:
…These(working with Matemadanda) include Larry Mavima (Midlands Provincial Affairs minister), Daniel Mackenzie (Zanu PF provincial chairman for Midlands) and Zanu PF youth chairman for Midlands Edmore Samambwa, among others.
They called themselves Gokwe Boys and their mission was to destroy July Moyo and Mudha (Owen Ncube) so that they become close to Mnangagwa.
They considered themselves as super Lacoste, more important than others. They were cooking up stories to create a divide between the two and Mnangagwa.
More: The Standard