A beneficiary of the Presidential Scholarship Programme was allegedly electrocuted after stepping onto an uninsulated electric wire at his parents’ house in Lupane.
The incident was confirmed by Matabeleland North acting police spokesperson, Sergeant Namatirai Mashona.
20-year-old Auren Bekezela Nyathi was a second-year student at the University of Witwatersrand in South Africa where he was studying for an Actuarial Science degree.
- - - Buy NetOne, Telecel Airtime on WhatsApp using EcoCash.
Send the word Airtime to +263 714 815 229
No extra charges. - - -
After stepping onto the electric cable, Auren reportedly fell down unconscious and his mother, Fungai Nyathi, informed some neighbours before rushing him to Lupane Medical Centre.
He was later transferred to St Luke’s Hospital because of the seriousness of the injuries and died on admission as his condition deteriorated.