The Minister for Finance and Economic Development, Mthuli Ncube on Friday said that the government will provide $19,5 million from a special fund for businesses that were destroyed during last month’s protests.
Ncube revealed this while speaking during a meeting with various stakeholders at Mhlahlandlela Government Complex. Said Ncube:
Hundreds of businesspeople lost property, people lost employment and families were impacted. We therefore want to give them a head start and help them start again. We’ll be setting up a fund to raise the $19, 5 million to assist the business people. We’re here to support businesses and help them recover.
We’ll try our best to move as quickly as we can. We’re going to prepare a report and the inter-ministerial committee will present the report to the President and Cabinet. Once approved we’ll then set up a technical committee to manage the disbursement of the funds.