‘Murambatsvina’ Victims In Mbare Return To Their Sites, 48 Hours After Council Bulldoze Structures

Unregistered tuckshop owners and vendors in Mbare yesterday started trooping back to prohibited trading sites, two days after being removed by Harare City Council.

On Saturday, Harare City Council, reinforced by soldiers, began demolishing illegal structures in Mbare and Chitungwiza. The council claimed that the traders were not paying levies.

However, a survey carried out by The Herald on Monday showed that the illegal traders were returning to their former trading sites. Harare City Council spokesperson Mr Michael Chideme said:

We urge the vendors to go to designated sites. If there is no space, we urge them to visit our Remembrance offices where we have a fully-fledged division handling that. They will be allocated trading sites from there.

Some of the unregistered traders who spoke to the Herald said:

There is no space to accommodate all of us at the designated sites, so we are appealing to them to provide a bigger space.

… It is a good initiative to allocate space for us at designated sites, though it has affected us as we had already established our clientele here in Mbare.

Related:

More: The Herald

Satisfaction survey
How likely is it that you would recommend Pindula News to a friend or colleague?
SuggestionsHow can we improve?
You have already submitted your feedback. If you would like to add more feedback please write us on hello@pindula.com.

RSS Recent Pindula Profiles

Comments

Back to top

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published.