Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), has reported that one of its officers is missing after excusing himself to receive a phone call while on duty and never returned. In a statement seen by Pindula News, IEBC said a report was made to the police. Reads the report dated 12 August 2022:
1. The Commission wishes to inform the country that its Returning Officer for Embakasi East Constituency, Mr. Daniel Musyoka, has been reported missing while on duty at the East African School of Aviation tallying centre.
2. Reports received by the Commission indicate that at around 9.00 am on 11th August 2022, his bodyguard escorted him from his house to the East African School of Aviation tallying centre. At around 0945am, Mr. Musyoka excused himself to receive a telephone call, but he did not return.
3. Mr. Musyoka’s family and the Commission have been trying to reach him without success. His duties are now being handled by the Deputy Returning Officer.
4. A report has been made at Embakasi Police Station under Occurrence Book No. 24/11/08/2022.
5. The Commission is deeply concerned about the unfortunate incident and calls upon the relevant security agencies to speedily investigate the matter.
W. W. CHEBUKATI CHAIRMAN