The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has released the names of 15 of the 21 people who perished in a fatal road traffic accident that occurred on the 5th July 2021 at the 61km peg along Masvingo- Mbalabala Road, at around 1530 hours.
On Monday police said 20 people were killed in the crash but one of the survivors, a police officer based at Buchwa Police Station, Lincoln Muungani (28), passed away later.
He was pulled out of the wreckage alive but later succumbed to his injuries at Zvishavane District Hospital around 6 pm on the same day.
National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Nyathi said the deceased have been identified by their next of kin. The deceased are:
- Samuel Dube (65), of Plot 90 Gwayi.
- Shara Mazorodze (37) , of Village Nemasiyanwa Gutu.
- Mudiwa Julius (39), of Village Munjikwa, Gutu.
- Richard Muparadzi (42), of Village Musapasi,Makoni.
- Romeo Ndlovu (24), of Zvishavane.
- Felix Moyo(27) of Village Mamhute, Chivi.
- Lincoln Kudakwashe Muungani (26), of Zimbabwe Republic Police Buchwa Support Unit.
- Melania Mukaro of Village Mukaro, Gutu.
- Magnesia Tsoka (34), of Village Nemasiyanwa, Gutu.
- Jemitias Simpilisiwe Shara (72), of Village Masiyanwa, Gutu.
- Alois Munyanyi Chitambira (66), of Village Masiyanwa, Gutu.
- Mirirai Grace Rundare (42), of Munjanganja Primary School, Gutu.
- Merita Esnath Machando (64), of Mujanganja Primary School, Gutu.
- Faulstino Shara (61), of Village Nemasiyanwa, Gutu.
- Mazorodze Shara (37), of Village Nemasiyanwa, Gutu.
Asst Comm Nyathi said police are still conducting investigations into the accident He urged members of the public to take heed of the Government’s call to stop boarding mushikashika or pirate taxis.
Asst Nyathi further implored people to observe and comply with COVID-19 protocols and measures to safeguard lives.