Sindile Ncube, a Nehanda Radio columnist has predicted that members of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) formations, MDC-T and MDC Alliance who defected to the ruling ZANU PF will be booted out of their new party soon.
Ncube cites “3 main reasons why these opportunists will not last long in their shameless quest.” We list the alleged reasons below.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
- 1. There will always be a cloud of suspicion above them
- Ncube said ZANU PF will always be sceptical of the new members because they betrayed their long-time friends.
- 2. There will be many in Zanu who will be against their arrival into the party.
- Ncube says they will clash over posts with the senior members refusing to allow the newcomers to grab posts ahead of them.
- 3. It will be very easy to blame them for any tribal skirmishes that happen in Zanu PF
- Ncube says they will be the scapegoat for ZANU PF’s issues, even those that were in existence before their arrival.
A number of senior members of the opposition including Obert Gutu, Blessing Chebundo and Lilian Timveos recently joined ZANU PF citing a number of issues including the opposition’s departure from democratic principles.
Some said they were attracted by ZANU PF’s progressive policies which they said will transform lives adding that their former parties had no direction.
Some of the defectors had, however, spent years in the opposition fighting the ruling party and accusing it of running down the economy.
Gutu for instance, at one point, claimed that everyone in the ruling party was corrupt, surprisingly, he is now a member of that party.
Observers say the defectors joined the ruling party for greedy reasons, even at the expense of their values.
Meanwhile, some political analysts argue that the President Emmerson Mnangagwa-led administration must be in possession of some dirty secrets of the individuals who defected which they are using to blackmail them.