The Zimbabwe Republic Police has revealed the identity of people who perished in a fatal road traffic accident at 130KM peg along Harare-Nyamapanda road. We present below the police statement in full.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police confirms the death of 17 people in a fatal road traffic accident which occurred at the 130 KM peg along Harare-Nyamapanda Road on 27 December 2020 at around 1740 hours.
A white Isuzu KB Double Cab which was travelling towards Murewa had a head-on collision with a white BMW vehicle going in the opposite direction. 14 people died on the spot while three died on admission at Mutoko Hospital. The driver of the Isuzu vehicle died on the spot. The bodies of the victims were taken to Mutoko District Hospital for Post Mortem and those injured were also admitted at the same institution. Meanwhile, eight of the victims have been identified by their next of kin as follows:
- Sandra Kanobata, a female adult, aged 19, of number 14 Rufaro Street, Chinzanga Mutoko.
- Abigal Chitimba, a female adult, aged 30, of number 14 Rufaro Street Chinzanga Mutoko.
- Major Mushumbi a male juvenile, aged seven, of number 14 Rufaro Street, Chinzanga Mutoko.
- Ngaakudzwe Nkolomah, a female juvenile, aged one year of number 14 Rufaro Street, Chinzanga Mutoko.
- Nyasha Chikuza, a female juvenile, aged seven, of ChitsakaVillage, Chief Mutoko, Mutoko.
- Masimba Rutsito, a male adult, aged 39, of Chingamuka Village, Chief Mutoko, Mutoko. (Isuzu Driver)
- Kupakwashe Rutsito, a male juvenile, aged 13 of Chingamuka Village, Chief Mutoko, Mutoko.
- Samuel Mapuranga, a male juvenile, aged two years of Estalia Village D, Kadoma.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police urges drivers to be considerate on the roads, avoid reckless driving conduct especially trying to overtake in situations which are not safe. Motorists should not exceed the loading capacity of vehicles when carrying goods and passengers. Let us all remember that road safety is a collective responsibility.