Leaked audio of MDC-T acting spokesperson Khaliphani Phugeni has exposed the infighting that has become the order of the day in the marriage of convenience between interim president Thokozani Khupe and interim secretary-general Douglas Mwonzora.
Phugeni is also Khupe’s spokesperson and was appointed the party’s director of communications after Khupe abandoned her party to team up with Mwonzora to revive MDC-T whose structures ceased to exist in 2019.
Phugeni is heard lambasting Mwonzora, saying he is tribalistic, divisive and the sponsor of violence in the party, therefore, does not deserve to be elected president at the extraordinary congress. Here are some few takeaways from the audio according to Davis Laque:
- Mwonzora has effectively taken over Harvest House and stands accused of running a terror group.
- Mwonzora’s allies are using tribalism to cripple Dr Khupe’s campaign.
- Mwonzora’s Facebook post calling Gukurahundi “a civil war” hasn’t helped matters and has angered the Khupe faction in the MDC-T
- Mwonzora is basically being treated as a tribalist in the MDC-T party.
- The current contenders for the MDC-T Presidency are Dr Khupe, Mwonzora, Gift Chimanikire, Sen Mudzuri, Sen Komichi
- Key Khupe allies, Phugeni and Ndhlovu are determined to stop Mwonzora from assuming the Presidency at the EOC.
- Mwonzora and Khupe are the current frontrunners.
- A Mwonzora Presidency will slipt the MDC-T with Phugeni saying Mwonzora isn’t fit to run a burial society and lacks national appeal to win the State Presidency.
- Should Khupe win, Mwonzora himself will be crippled as he has become a headache to the Khupe faction.
- Phugeni himself has ambitions to lead the MDC-T.
- The Khupe faction is already sidelining Mwonzora, using his Deputy, Amai Mupariwa and Komichi to handle party matters.
- There is no consensus on recalled MPs replacements with each faction eager to position itself.