South Africa has announced that it will be reopening its side of the Beitbridge Border Post within 24 hours after temporarily closing it for the necessary disinfection after a customs officer tested positive for the coronavirus.
South African Revenue Services (SARS) head of media and communications, Mr Siphithi Sibeko said the fumigation of the offices was complete which means commercial cargo which had been blocked can now pass, again. He said:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
So we had to clear all the in and outbound commercial trucks, which were already in our yard to create room for disinfections in line with the standard protocols set by our Government. At the moment we are not allowing any new cargo into the border and we expect operations to resume within 24 hours when all safety protocols have been complied with.
He added that SARS had since communicated the development with other inter-border agencies from South Africa and Zimbabwe.
The Herald reports that by the end of the day Wednesday, commercial trucks were already queuing on the Zimbabwean commercial side waiting for their turn to move through as soon as it can be reopened safely.
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe allows, under very strict conditions, trans-Sadc travel for trucks moving between South Africa and Zambia, Malawi, Angola, Tanzania, DRC and Mozambique.
More: The Herald