The Zimbabwean government has said it has fully complied with recommendations made by the Motlanthe Commission of Inquiry into the 1 August post-election violence.
Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Permanent Secretary Virginia Mabhiza, who was also the Commission’s secretary, told State media that most of the commission’s recommendations had been implemented. She said:
Four key issues ranging from compensation of the victims’ families, electoral reforms, political dialogue and security sector reforms came out as the key recommendations from the Motlanthe Commission.
- - - Buy NetOne, Telecel Airtime on WhatsApp using EcoCash.
Send the word Airtime to +263 714 815 229
No extra charges. - - -
There has been a lot of compliance. We have complied fully with the Motlanthe Commission but some of the processes are still ongoing.
Though the Covid-19 lockdown has delayed implementation of some of the recommendations, we have covered a lot of ground.
To a large extent, we have complied with the recommendations of the commission though some of the issues remain work in progress.
Mabhiza said the establishment of the Political Actors Dialogue (POLAD) was in fulfilment of the recommendation on initiating civil political co-existence, and the repealing of laws such as the Public Order and Security Act (POSA) were in line with legislative reforms called for by the Commission.
She said security sector reforms were taking place through retraining programmes for the Zimbabwe Republic Police.
Six people were shot dead by soldiers in central Harare on August 1, 2018, after protests erupted over what was thought to be electoral officials’ delay in releasing presidential election results.
The deaths of Brian Zhuwawo, Challenge Tauro, Jealous Chikandira, Gavin Dean Charles, Ishmael Kumire and Silvia Maphosa and the injuries sustained by 35 others were a result of the actions of the security services, the Motlanthe Commission said.