In a worrisome development, a total of 118 people have so far escaped from COVID-19 quarantine and isolation centres countrywide in separate incidents.
In a statement on Tuesday, national police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said some of the returnees have since been arrested.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
The high number of returnees who were escaping from isolation centres were putting the lives of other people in danger and members of the public should be wary of accepting any returnees unless they are sure that they have have been screed for coronavirus, said Nyathi.
A total of 118 people have escaped from various isolation centres throughout the country since the onset of the national lockdown. Some have been arrested, while others are still being sought by the police.
Police were closely working with the Ministry of Health and Child Care to ensure all those who escaped and those who were avoiding immigration formalities were brought to book.
19 returnees have escaped from Beitbridge and 5 from Chiredzi (only 2 have so far been captured) while a combined 27 returnees had by last week, escaped from the NSSA Hotel quarantine centre since it started operating.