A Hwange woman was hospitalised after she collapsed with shock after her 5-year-old son reportedly set their family home on fire, New Zimbabwe reports.
The boy’s sisters and their maid escaped the inferno unhurt but the fire reportedly destroyed all their household property and the family car which was parked in the yard.
Narrating the incident to the maid, Lesiwe Mudimba said:
I was in the kitchen with Clotildah Tshuma, 16, when we sensed the smell of smoke in the house. Lydia, aged 10 was in another room while Junior was in the bedroom alone.
When we checked, we discovered that the fire was coming from the bedroom whereupon we alerted neighbours who immediately phoned the fire brigade and came to help put out the fire.
When asked the boy said he wanted to burn his sister clothes which were stashed in the wardrobe when he mistakenly set the whole house on fire. The police are still trying to ascertain the value of the burnt property.
More: New Zimbabwe