Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa on Saturday night said that mealie meal deliveries have been increased across the country to ensure that no family would go hungry during the period of the lockdown.
Mutsvangwa added that food distribution by the Department of Welfare will start on Monday. She said:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
In terms of food production and availability, mealie-meal production and delivery has increased significantly over the past two days.
… The Department of Social Welfare is set to start food distribution beginning Monday, April 6.
Once again Government would like to appreciate the immense support of partners in terms of food distribution, especially for the vulnerable members of the community countrywide.
Mutsvangwa also said that security forces have been exhorted to ensure safe passage and guarantee food supply, including vegetables from producers countrywide.
The government has encouraged farmers to get in touch with the Ministry of Agriculture and their provincial structures to ensure that they get exemption letters for them to travel without hindrances.
The exhortation comes after police in Mutare seized and destroyed hundreds of kilogrammes of fresh farm produce last week, saying farmers were violating lockdown restrictions.