23 NOVEMBER 2019
FATAL ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT MAZOWE – CENTENARY ROAD: 31 KM PEG
The Zimbabwe Republic Police is investigating a fatal road traffic accident which occurred on 22nd November 2019 at around 1930 hours at the 31 km peg Mazowe – Centenary Road where eight people were killed and three others were injured.
Circumstances are that the driver of a Toyota Hiace commuter omnibus with eight passengers on board which was travelling due west rammed into the back of a Toyota Dyna vehicle which was travelling in the same direction but intending to turn right into an unnamed road. The Toyota Hiace then burst into flames.
Eight of the occupants in the Toyota Hiace were burnt beyond recognition while one person got injured and is receiving treatment at a local hospital.
It is suspected that the Toyota Hiace vehicle was carrying some flammable liquid which caused the fire. The names of seven victims who perished and remains taken to Concession Hospital were identified by their next of kin as follows:
- Charles Mutematsaka, a male adult (38) of ZRP Old Camp, Highfields, Harare
- Maria Chada (45) a female adult of 8823 Waterfalls, Harare
- Vanesu Kaputi, a female juvenile (2 years 9 months) of 8823 Waterfalls Harare
- Master Mutematsaka, a male adult (18) of ZRP Old Camp, Highfields, Harare
- Abraham Chinwara, a male adult, age unknown of Kanyemba Growth Point, Guruve
- Cuthbert Kasana, a male adult, age unknown of Shange Village, Mushumbi, Guruve
- Tonderai Murasikwa, a male adult (40) of Kanyemba
One body is yet to be identified and members of the public who are missing a relative are urged to come forward and assist the police in the identification process.
Motorists are implored to be observant on the road and also avoid carrying flammable substances on their vehicles, which endanger the lives of passengers and other road users.
(NYATHI.P) Assistant Commissioner
Senior Staff Officer [Press, Public and International Relations] To the Commissioner-General of Police Police General Headquarters
- Zimbabwe Weather Report & Forecast: 27 To 29 November 2021
- Zimbabwean-born Scientist Credited With Discovery Of New Coronavirus Variant
- US$334 000 Fawcett Cash-in-transit Robbery An Inside Job - Police
- New COVID-19 Variant Detected In The UK