Multichoice’s Supersport has said that it will not be broadcasting CAF content, commencing with the Afcon under-23 championship, starting in Egypt this weekend, until further notice.
The development also affects the Afcon qualifiers, which resume on Wednesday, 13 November.
In a statement on Friday, MultiChoice Group Executive for Corporate Affairs, Joe Heshu said:
We are in a difficult position where we cannot broadcast the CAF games when we don’t have a firm contractual arrangement in place. SuperSport had previously acquired these broadcast rights from Lagardère.
The decision by SuperSport to discontinue broadcasting caf games comes as a result of the termination by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) of its agency agreement with Lagardère Sports.
Caf said it had no choice but to cancel the deal with the French-based company after two court judgments went against it.
Lagardere Sports had been appointed as CAF’s exclusive agent for marketing and media rights for an uninterrupted 20-year period without any open tender, which was a breach of competition rules.
More: IOL News
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.