10 Out The 12 Victims Of Xenophobia Were South African – SA Govt

South African authorities said that 10 of the 12 people who were killed over the last week in unrest and violence aimed at foreign nationals in Gauteng were South Africans.

This was revealed by South Africa’s Defence Minister, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula while briefing the media on behalf of justice and security cluster ministers in Parliament on Tuesday. She said:

Incidents of violence flared up but were quickly dealt with around Jeppestown and Hillbrow. Ten people died on Sunday, bringing the total amount of fatalities to 12, 10 of which are South Africans and two are foreign nationals.

Mapisa-Nqakula said that there is no evidence to suggest that foreign nationals were targeted during the violence that flared up over a week ago, but the attacks were acts of criminality. She added:

South Africa is not a xenophobic country. Whoever is found on the wrong side of the law will be dealt with accordingly.

Meanwhile, nearly 700 suspects were unrest during the arrest, Mapisa-Nqakula on Tuesday. She said:

The charges for the arrested suspects ranged from public violence, arson, malicious damage to property, theft and possession of the stolen property, possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition, attempted murder and murder, business robbery, and ongoing contravention of the Gathering Act.

More: News24


Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge

If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.

Comments

Back to top

One Comment on “10 Out The 12 Victims Of Xenophobia Were South African – SA Govt

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published.