Bulawayo residents have been left fuming after the City council cut off water supplies for six days.
Council notified residents last week that due to major rehabilitation works at Criterion Water Treatment Plant, residents will be without water for 96 hours.
However, Bulawayo residents representatives argued that the City Fathers did not give them adequate prior notice.
- - - Buy NetOne, Telecel Airtime on WhatsApp using EcoCash.
Send the word Airtime to +263 714 815 229
No extra charges. - - -
Bulawayo Progressive Residents Association co-ordinator Mr Emmanuel Ndlovu had this to say:
While we appreciate that they are servicing the treatment plants the danger now is that there was no prior warning.
Just take a walk in the western areas and you will find that there are people looking for water everywhere, people were honestly caught off guard.
The local authority should also not forget that there are a number of diseases that can easily spread due to the unavailability of water, further this is worsened by them constantly saying that boreholes are themselves not hundred per cent safe.
We remain hopeful that the local authority will remain true to their words and ensure that supplies are restored soonest.
On the other hand, Bulawayo United Residents Association (BURA) chairman Mr Winos Dube said that the city council failed to properly plan the water cuts. He said:
To be honest, what the local authority is doing is inhumane, they knew all along that they were meant to carry out this rehabilitation and should have planned for it such that the cuts should have occurred stage by stage.
People are falling sick out here and the council is just turning a blind eye, it is worrying and for some of us leaders, we are left wondering what the local authority is doing to solve this.
Meanwhile, the local authority’s Town Clerk, Mr Christopher Dube, said that the water cuts which were initially set to end on Saturday will extend into Sunday.