The Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) president, Peter Mutasa, has dismissed messages circulating on social media linking the labour union to a “shutdown” of the country on July 1.
A pamphlet that has gone viral on social media titled:
#Shutdown Zimbabwe: Non violent stay-away warns citizens not to report for duty on Monday July 1st.
The message claims that the protests are being organised by pressure group #Tajamuka/Sesijikile, the Amalgamated Rural Teachers Union of Zimbabwe (ARTUZ), Zimbabwe National Students Union, ZCTU, human rights organisations, Community Water Alliance and a group representing vendors among others.
Speaking to the NewZimbabwe.com on Saturday, Mutasa said:
We are not involved on the current calls for protests on Monday, we are not involved. Some people have just been trying to use our name, without seeking our consent or talking to us.
We cannot be party to such an arrangement without the mandate of the workers. We cannot use the organisation without the mandate of the workers.
He, however, added that ZCTU was planning its own protests in the event that the government does not reverse the ban on the use of all foreign currencies for domestic transactions. He said they will announce dates for demonstrations next week after getting feedback from Cabinet on Tuesday.
ARTUZ leader Obert Masaraure also dismissed allegations that the organisation he led was part of the demonstrations.
Meanwhile, #Tajamuka/Sesijikile organiser, Tineyi Munetsi last week said his organisation had petitioned the government and called for demonstrations beginning July 1st.
More: New Zimbabwe