The new dispensation that came to power by ousting Mugabe who had been in power for 37 years has been in power for 17 months now. In the 17 months, we have noted these few parallels between former president Mugabe and President Mnangagwa,
1. Mega Deals.
Mugabe made a lot of mega deals during his tenure as president. These are some of, but not limited to, the deals that Mugabe made during the 4 years leading to 21 Nov 2017
- The Beitbridge Chirundu Dualisation
- Bulawayo Harare high-speed train
- Zambezi Water Project for Matebeleland
- China Africa Sunlight Energy’s 100 MW coal-fired Plant
Needless to say, all these deals didn’t materialise.
ED when he assumed office, also directly or indirectly announced the following, but not limited to, mega deals
- South Africa’s Nkosikhona Holdings’ $5.2 Billion deal which was supposed to produce millions of fuel from coal, create employment and reduce fuel imports.
- December 6 2017, The first Mega deal of upgrading the RGM Airport to make it a regional hub for international airlines was signed.
- $4.2 Billion Platinum deal with Karo Resources
- $1.2 Billion Tourism and Hospitality mega-deal with the Chinese
- $400 Million NRZ deal with DIDG
- $1 Billion Stainless steel plant in Gweru with a Chinese Firm.
- The Revival of Shabani Mashava Mine, CSC and Zisco Steel
Needless to say. most of these deals didn’t materialise up to date.
2. Action against corruption
We woke up to General Moyo on ZBC Tv on 15 November 2017 saying ” The president is safe, we are only targetting criminals around him ” since 2017 the only “criminal” that was successfully prosecuted and convicted was former energy minister Samuel Udenge. This means if there were criminals around Mugabe, the new dispensation is failing to prove it. There have been no successful prosecutions in which the “criminals” were successfully prosecuted and acquitted or convicted 17 months later.
3. Relatives in some key positions
On 5 October 2016, Simba Chikore Mugabe’s son in law was appointed Air Zimbabwe’s Chief Operations Officer (COO). Memes and jokes around this were so loud signifying how Zimbabweans felt about such a move. A few days ago, the current president’s son in law was appointed Sports and Recreation Commission head.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.