The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has released a statement following an accident that occurred close to Gweru on Wednesday night. The statement reads as follows:
FATAL ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT IN GWERU
The Zimbabwe Republic Police confirms the death of ten (10) people in a fatal road traffic accident which occurred at the 256 km peg along Harare-Bulawayo Road on 10 April 2019, at around 1815 hours. We express deepest condolences to the bereaved families.
The accident occurred after a male adult who was driving a Toyota Hiace due North along Harare-Bulawayo Road with fifteen (15) passengers on board overtook two motor vehicles thereby encroaching into the oncoming lane leading to a head-on collision with a Sonylong bus which had fifty-three (53) passengers on board coming from the opposite direction.
The Toyota Hiace overturned and landed on its side killing ten (10) people on the spot and injuring five (5). In the process, the Sonylong bus veered off the road and landed into a ditch injuring two (2) passengers and the driver. The injured were taken to Gweru Provincial Hospital where they are receiving treatment.
Meanwhile, the victims have been identified by their next of kin as follows;
1) Tatenda Chinave, a male adult from BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
2) Tawanda Chinave, a male adult from BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
3) Prudence Mbedzi, a female adult of BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
4) Patience Phiri, a female adult of BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
5) Tanaka Phiri, a male juvenile aged 14 of 2 Jacaranda Avenue, Redcliff, Kwekwe.
6) Taruvinga Maziva, a male adult from BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
7) Pamela Maziva, a female adult of BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
8) Charity Jairos, a male adult from BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
9) Lungi Mbano, a male adult of Rutendo in Kwekwe.
10) Evolution Manhanda, a male adult from BD 86 Gold Mine in Kwekwe.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police would like to urge motorists to always exercise caution when driving and avoid overtaking in situations which do not allow them to do so safely. Drivers should be conscious and know that road safety is also part of their responsibility on the road all the times.
Assistant Commissioner Chief Staff Officer[Press, Public and International Relations]
POLICE GENERAL HEADQUARTERS
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.