MDC-T led by Thokozani Khupe has vowed to continue partaking in the State House Dialogue, called for by President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Mnangagwa invited all losing presidential candidates in the July 30, 2018 poll. The majority heeded the call but his main rival and challenger, MDC Alliance president Nelson Chamisa snubbed the call.
Speaking to journalists in Bulawayo on Friday, MDC-T chairperson Abednico Bhebhe said that any logical person would recognise that the way forward is through dialogue. Said Bhebhe:
This government is recognised by Southern African Development Community, African Union, European Union, United States and the United Nations, therefore, to any logical person, it becomes apparent that any way forward can only come through dialogue.
Does this mean we agree with this government? Of course, we don’t, hence the dialogue, but for us, the welfare of Zimbabwe and her people trumps any personal ambition.
It is not going to be easy, but the dialogue needs mature people and if we did not participate who was going to be the adult in that room?
Our Constitution states that the change we advocate for will be achieved only through democratic and peaceful means.
Chamisa has refused to recognise Mnangagwa’s legitimacy or to engage him directly, calling for a neutral convener, such as the churches.
One of the losing presidential candidates last week reportedly mocked Chamisa for snubbing the “gravy train”.