In a statement yesterday, the Minister of Home Affairs and Culture Obert Mpofu said no gold panners had invaded Grace Mugabe’s properties. Mpofu said there is a mining dispute between the former First Family and three mining syndicates that is before the High Court.
He said the syndicates approached the High Court which issued a provisional order barring police and Gushungo Holdings from interfering with their mining activities under case number HC293/18. Mpofu also dismissed Grace’s claim that 31 laptops were stolen saying that her workers had reported that only eight were stolen and two of her employees Amos Masimure (29) and Wilson Pomba (32), were arrested in connection with the theft and Masimure was convicted. Said Mpofu:
On March 29, 2018, the former First Lady made a report at ZRP Mazowe alleging that 400 illegal miners had invaded her lemon plantation and vandalised the field and irrigation equipment. On March 30, 2018, another report was made to the police that illegal miners had been sighted at the Amai Mugabe Children’s Home.
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
The ZRP attended the scene on 30th and 31st March 2018 and established through interviews and physical checks that there were no illegal miners at the children’s home and lemon plantation. The inquiries revealed that there is a mining dispute between the former First Family and three mining syndicates, Mondo 3 led by Bright Maonga, Mondo 4 mining claim led by Shepherd Nyazvingo and Xmas 159 led by Mohammed Khan. The syndicates went to the High Court and obtained a provisional order which bars the police and Gushungo Holdings from interfering with their mining operations, High Court order HC293/18 refers.
Dr Mpofu said the Government’s decision to reduce the number of police officers deployed to provide security to former President Mugabe’s family and properties made last month was in line with Statutory Instrument 153/2017.