A delegation of four ministers in President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s administration is reported to have been denied Visas to attend an investment conference in the United Kingdom, Zimdaba London 2018 Conference. Only Minister of Mines and Mining Development Winston Chitando was granted a visa.
The four who failed to get the Visas are:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
- Mike Bimha Minister of Industry, Commerce and Enterprise Development
- Simon Khaya Moyo, Minister of Energy and Power Development
- Terence Mukupe, deputy minister of Finance and Economic Planning
- Gideon Gono, the chairperson of the Special Economic Zones Authority.
Two other ministers were removed as speakers at the conference after reports that they may be denied Visas:
- Lieutenant-General (Retired) Sibusiso Moyo, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and
- Air Chief Marshal(Retired) Perrance Shir, the Minister of Lands, Agriculture and Rural Resettlement
However, the organisers, Consolidated Africa Services (CAS) said that it was only a delay. Said Munyaradzi Majoni, the director of Consolidated Africa Services (CAS),
We have been talking to the British Embassy in Harare and London and they have okayed everything. We are awaiting for Pretoria. We have nowhere where we have been told that no one has been denied a visa, but there was a delay in the process.
We are not postponing, we will change the programme. We will amend and adjust the programme for those that have been delayed.
More: Daily News
Gideon Gono is the former Governor of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) a position he was in from 2003 to 2013. He is also former CEO of the CBZ Holdings, formerly known as the Commercial Bank of Zimbabwe, and Jewel Bank. Gono is known... Read More About Gideon Gono
Special Economic Zones (SEZ)s are geographically designated areas of the country which are set aside for specifically targeted economic activities to promote national economic growth by using support measures to attract both foreign and domestic investments. Business activity in the designated areas is subject to... Read More About Special Economic Zones