NewsDay reports that the United States has renewed sanctions against President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s administration and former Zanu PF leader Robert Mugabe and his wife Grace.
One source told NewsDay that the United States recognises Mnangagwa came into power through a coup despite the Zanu-PF’s administration’s choice to label it Operation Restore Legacy. Another source also highlighted some individuals that came to power after the military intervention in November last year have been placed under sanctions which are likely to be reviewed after the general elections expected in July. Said the highly placed source:
The minister (Foreign Affairs and International Trade minister Sibusiso Moyo) was told through a diplomatic note that the US will be renewing sanctions against the new government. There are additions to include those (ministers and other top government officials) that came into the Executive through the November 15 operation.
- Click link to receive Pindula News on WhatsApp: https://wa.me/263733047077?text=add
When contacted for comment, Foreign Affairs minister Moyo confirmed receiving communication from the US regarding the renewal of sanctions. He also said Government is expecting a delegation from the US. Said Moyo:
Well, I have had communication with the US administration and actually we are expecting a delegation next week. We are cognisant of the fact that it is not easy to change sanctions laws because there is need for consultations and the US Congress has to repeal such statutes. We also did not expect this [shift in US policy on Zimbabwe after Mugabe’s fall] to be an event, but we will continue working with them.
The US embassy in Harare would neither deny nor confirm extension of the sanctions against Mnangagwa’s administration but said that such decisions were the prerogative of the US President.