Massive changes are looming at the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) after over 30 commissioners were asked to leave the police force within 48 hours. The commissioners have been retired and will receive 3 months salary as they were not given three months notice.
The ZRP had become one of the most disliked and distrusted organisations in Zimbabwe under the tenure of long-serving former Commissioner- General Augustine Chihuri. In the aftermath of Operation Restore Legacy, the ZRP had to conduct joint patrols with members of the Zimbabwe Defence Forces as its officers were accused of corruption and extorting motorists through numerous roadblocks.
A letter of retirement which was given to one of the commissioners and was signed by Acting Commissioner General Goodwin Matanga reads:
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
17 January 2018
RETIREMENT FROM THE ZIMBABWE REPUBLIC POLICE IN TERMS OF SECTION 22(3) OF THE POLICE ACT, CHAPTER 11:10
This letter serves to advise you of your retirement from the Zimbabwe Republic Police in terms of section 22 subsection (3) of the Police Act [Chapter 11:101 effective from midnight on the 19″ of January 2018.
You will be paid three months’ salary in lieu of three months’ notice of termination of service.
The Acting Commissioner General of Police avails himself this opportunity to sincerely thank you for having diligently served the organisation and the people of Zimbabwe.
Wishing you and your family a pleasant retirement
Acting Commissioner General of Police
Some of the commissioners who have been asked to retire are as follows:
- Deputy Commissioner-General Innocent Matibiri (Human resources)
- Deputy Commissioner-General Levie Sibanda (Operations)
- Deputy Commissioner-General Josephine Shambare Crime)
- Commissioner Olga Bungu,
- Commissioner Mekia Tanyanyiwa
- Commissioner Grace Ndebele
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Godfrey Munyonga
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Angelina Guvamombe
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Justice Chengeta
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Robert Masukusa
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Eve Mlilo
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Grace Maenzanise
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Prudence Chakanyuka
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Erasmus Makodza
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Wiklef Makamache
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Edward Fusire
- Senior Assistant Commissioner Douglas Nyakutsikwa
Augustine Chihuri is a retired Zimbabwe law enforcement officer and former Zimbabwe Republic Police Commissioner General. He is a war veteran who received his military training at Mgagao in Tanzania as well as the longest-serving police chief in Zimbabwe since Independence. On 13 November 2017... Read More About Augustine Chihuri
A military coup code-named Operation Restore Legacy was executed in Zimbabwe in November 2017 and it resulted in the forced resignation of President Robert Mugabe. Mugabe had been the leader of Zimbabwe for thirty-seven years. The coup was led by the military general, Constantino Chiwenga... Read More About Operation Restore Legacy
The Zimbabwe Republic Police is the country's law enforcing and maintaining organ. It was established in 1980 evolving from the Rhodesian Police and incorporated members from both the Rhodesian and the nationalist forces. It operates under the Ministry of Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage. Read More About Zimbabwe Republic Police