Chombo faces several fraud charges. His application for temporary release of passport on medical grounds has been opposed.
- Chombo finished giving his evidence and Defense Counsel has called Chombo’s maid to give evidence as witness.
- The maid is said to have been in the house when Chombo was dragged out at midnight.
- Court had to adjourn to give the Defense time to locate the maid who is their star witness. Sje had been called three times and had not answered.
- The maid was eventually found and the court session is now proceeding.
Previous Developments (Last Update)
- Chombo is facing a slew of charges among them fraud and criminal abuse of office during his tenure as local government minister.
- Chombo asks court to allow him to give his evidence behind closed doors away from the public saying his evidence is sensitive and may affect national security.
- Chombo’s lawyer, Professor Lovemore Madhuku is opposing the placement of Chombo his client on remand
- The Court has adjourned to give state and defence time to deliberate on whether they agree that circumstances around the alleged unlawful detention of Ignatius Chombo are sensitive and affect national security.