The Meteorological Services Department (MSD) of Zimbabwe has announced that severe Tropical Storm Freddy upgraded to Tropical Cyclone Freddy on Saturday afternoon. In a statement seen by Pindula News, the department said:
ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS SATURDAY 11 MARCH 2023 VALID UNTIL MONDAY 13 MARCH 2023.
Light rain was experienced yesterday and today in the eastern parts of the country: Manicaland, Mashonaland East and Mashonaland Central. Rainfall amounts recorded, however, were all traces except for 21mm measured at Mount Darwin. All other places were mostly sunny and warm in the afternoon. Severe Tropical Storm Freddy upgraded to Tropical Cyclone Freddy this afternoon and is heading towards the northern coast of Mozambique.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, SUNDAY 12 MARCH 2023
It should be cloudy with a chance of intermittent light rain in Mashonaland Central, Harare Metropolitan, Mashonaland East, Manicaland and Masvingo Province. Isolated thunderstorms are probable in the afternoon. Expect partly cloudy and warm weather in Mashonaland West, northern parts of the Midlands, Matabeleland North, Bulawayo Metropolitan, and Masvingo Province. Winds are anticipated to be moderate to fresh in most parts of the country.
• Wind Gusts increase the probability of loose debris or roofs being blown-off.
• The wind factor makes the real-feel temperature much less than the actual.
• Light rains may affect outdoor activities
ACTIONS TO TAKE
• Secure rooftops and insure any loose objects that can be easily carried by the wind are secure.
• Avoid being outdoors during episodes of strong winds as debris carried by the wind can cause harm and injury.
• Ensure vulnerable persons are kept warm and safe, especially towards evening when winds are expected to strengthen.
• Plan with the weather in mind as light rains and strong winds are anticipated especially over the eastern and southern parts of the country.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR MONDAY 13 MARCH 2023
Cloudy, windy and rainy conditions are predicted in Matabeleland South, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Masvingo, the southern portion of Midlands, Manicaland, Mashonaland East, Harare Metropolitan and Mashonaland Central Provinces. The remaining places should be partly cloudy and warm in the afternoon with a moderate breeze.
Back to top