Nine people, including five National University of Science and Technology (NUST) students, died after they were involved in a road accident along the Masvingo-Mbalabala road on Thursday.
In an obituary seen by Pindula News, NUST’s Chaplaincy Office said the accident occurred near Filabusi. Reads the obituary:
Subject: Obituary for NUST’s five (5) students that perished in a road traffic accident near Filabusi area on Thursday, 2nd March 2023.
The Chaplaincy Office wishes to notify the NUST community of the passing on of five (5) of our students. A dark cloud has fallen upon our horizon. We have been thrown into deep mourning. We are troubled, devastated, and left bereft of words. We cannot ask God WHY? We do not have answers either. May the Lord comfort the NUST Community and the families. This is a disaster and may God help us. The following students were confirmed dead after a road traffic accident and their next of kin were informed by the Zimbabwe Republic Police at Filabusi station.
1. RACHEL MANDIKI (NO2211150M, BSc Degree in Quantity Survey, Part 1) (The family has since collected the body of their deceased daughter and travelled to Bikita, Masvingo for burial at Mandiki Community on Sunday, 05.03.2023)
2. MARY-MAGDALENE NKALA (NO2133605T, BSc Hons Degree in Accounting, Part 1)
3. SAMBULELOSENKOSI NKALA (NO2216870W, BSc Hons Degree in Finance, Part 1) The deceased siblings Nkala girls are scheduled to be transported to Masvingo town tomorrow (04.03.2023) the family plans to conduct a burial on Sunday, 05.03.2023 in Masvingo town. The family originally comes from Gwanda).
4. RUTENDO NYANGANI (NO2215878L, BSc Degree in Quantity Survey Part 1) (The family has since collected the body of their deceased daughter and travelled to Mhondoro Ngezi, for burial on Sunday, 05.03.2023. The family originally comes from Mutare, Manicaland).
5. MASIMBA MUSHAYIKWA (NO2213504H, BSc Hons Degree in Accounting Part 1) (Family has planned for service at 09:00hrs on Saturday, 04.03.2023 at 14026 Anaboom Road, Thorngrove, Bulawayo. After the service, the family departs for Renko Mine, Masvingo to lay their beloved to rest on Sunday).
We convey our condolences to the families, the Student body, and, the various departments. May the Lord bring peace and comfort to the families. The Psalmist in Psalm 147:3 reminds us that God alone heals broken hearts and binds our wounds. We speak grace upon grace for the families to accept what has happened to them. Only God can touch the hearts of relatives. We pray for serenity to prevail. MTHSRIP!
The accident occurred at around 4.30 pm when the students were travelling back to Bulawayo after attending a funeral.
The bodies of the victims were taken to Filabusi District Hospital awaiting post-mortem.
More Pindula News