The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection at 4 PM on Sunday 12 February 2023 valid until Tuesday 14 February 2023:
The low-pressure system on the eastern coast of the sub-continent resulted in scattered thunderstorms with isolated heavy downpours above 50mm in the eastern half of the country.
This saw Nyanga recording (77mm), Mutoko (76mm) and Harare (57mm). Other notable amounts above 20mm were; Chisengu (30mm), Mukandi (26mm) and Mount Darwin (23mm). Meanwhile, this wet spell is anticipated to persist and also cover the whole country.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW MONDAY 13 FEBRUARY 2023
The whole country is expected to be cloudy and cool in the morning becoming mild to warm as the day progresses.
Widespread thunderstorms with isolated heavy falls (50mm or more) are also anticipated especially on the far eastern side of the country.
However, the western areas of Matabeleland North Province should be partly cloudy with slight chances of isolated thundershowers.
- Lightning is a major threat during this time of the year, being inherent in thundershowers.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream.
- Heavy downpours may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
- Humid and seemingly hot conditions may reduce comfort levels, especially for vulnerable members of society.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing rivers or streams of unknown depth; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, it might have done so upstream. 30cm depth of fast-flowing water can sweep away large vehicles.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
- Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance. Umbrellas are not safe during storms, raincoats are better, best is to be indoors, especially during thunderstorms.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR TUESDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2023
It is expected to be cool in the morning becoming mild in the afternoon with widespread thunderstorms which will be heavier mainly along the main watershed and in the eastern highlands.
Back to top