The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection at 4 PM on Saturday 11 February 2023 valid until Monday 13 February 2023:
The prevailing cloud system over the country resulted in scattered thunderstorms mainly in the eastern and southern parts of the country.
Notable falls above 20mm were recorded at Beitbridge (47mm), Makoholi (28mm) and Hwedza (28mm).
Other significant amounts were, (14mm) in both Zvishavane and Marondera followed by Trelawney which recorded (12mm).
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW SUNDAY 12 FEBRUARY 2023
The eastern half of Matabeleland south province, the southern half of Midlands province, all Mashonaland provinces together with Manicaland and Masvingo provinces are expected to be cloudy and cool in the morning becoming mild as the day progresses.
Afternoon thunderstorms are also expected which may exceed 20mm in rainfall, especially to the extreme eastern side of the country.
The remaining areas which are; Matabeleland North, the western half of Matabeleland south and the northern parts of Midlands provinces should be partly cloudy with slight chances of afternoon thundershowers.
- Lightning is a major threat during this time of the year, being inherent in thundershowers.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream.
- Heavy downpours may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
- Humid and seemingly hot conditions may reduce comfort levels, especially for vulnerable members of society.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing rivers or streams of unknown depth; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, it might have done so upstream. 30cm depth of fast-flowing water can sweep away large vehicles.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
- Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance. Umbrellas are not safe during storms, raincoats are better, best is to be indoors, especially during thunderstorms.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR MONDAY 13 FEBRUARY 2023
It should be mostly cloudy and humid throughout the country with afternoon thunderstorms which can be heavier in some places especially those to the eastern side of the country.
However, Matabeleland North Province should be partly cloudy with slight chances of isolated thundershowers.
Back to top