The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection at 4 PM on Monday 06 February 2023 valid until Wednesday 08 February 2023:
Scattered thunderstorms occurred in Matabeleland North, northern districts of Midlands, Harare Metropolitan, northern parts of Manicaland and all Mashonaland Provinces.
Localized downpours occurred in places such as Wedza (55mm), Mutare (52mm), Kariba (46mm), and Chibero (30mm). The southern provinces had cloudy conditions with a slight drizzle.
Meanwhile, moisture is developing near the eastern parts of the sub-continent (near the Mozambique Channel).
TOMORROW, TUESDAY 07 FEBRUARY 2023, the northern parts of the country (Matabeleland North, northern parts of Midlands, all Mashonaland, Harare Metropolitan, and northern parts of Manicaland) is forecast to be partly cloudy and mild in the morning becoming cloudy and warm by afternoon with isolated thunderstorms.
All other areas (Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South, southern areas of Midlands, southern parts of Manicaland and Masvingo Province) are expected to be mostly sunny and mild at first becoming partly cloudy and warm by noon. An odd shower remains probable.
- Heavy downpours are a major threat during this part of the year; and these are inherent to the presence of the Inter-tropical Convergence Zone over the country. These may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream.
- Lightning strikes are a threat to human and animal life.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing rivers or streams of unknown depth; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, it might have done so upstream. 30cm depth of fast-flowing water can sweep away large vehicles.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
- Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance. Umbrellas are not safe during storms, raincoats are better, best is to be indoors.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR WEDNESDAY 08 FEBRUARY 2023:
Scattered thunderstorms are expected in areas along and to the north of the Main Watershed while the southern areas should be cloudy by afternoon with isolated thunderstorms. Localised heavy rains remain a possibility in some places.
Back to top