The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has blocked the opposition Citizens Coalition of Zimbabwe (CCC) party from holding a rally this Wednesday saying the desired venue was fully booked.
The party, led by Nelson Chamisa, intended to have a rally at Zengeza 5 Grounds in Chitungwiza in preparation for an impending by-election. We present below a police letter addressed to CCC convener, Mayon Lovernore Maiko:
NOTIFICATION TO HOLD A BY-ELECTION CAMPAIGN RALLY BY CITIZENS COALITION FOR CHANGE AT ZENGEZA 5 GROUNDS ON 05 MAY 2022 FROM 1000 HOURS TO 1600 HOURS
- 1. Your letter dated 02 May 2022 on the above subect is hereby acknowledged.
- 2. The notification to hold a by election rally at Zengeza 5 Grounds on 05 May 2022 from 1000 hours to 1600 hours has not been approved.
- 3. The venue scheduled for your event is fully booked for another event on the same date and time.
- 4. Therefore your event was not sanctioned.
- 5. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
[S. MUGUTI] Chief Superintendent. Regulatory Authority/Officer Commanding Police CHITUNGWIZA DISTRICT
Police were previously accused of being partisan after blocking several other rallies which the CCC intended to hold prior to the 26 March by-elections.