ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON TUESDAY 25 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL THURSDAY 27 JANUARY 2022.
The Moderate Tropical Storm “ANA” made landfall yesterday over the north coast of Mozambique and dumped a lot of moisture in northern Mozambique before evolving into an Overland Depression.
Since then, the Overland Depression has been moving westward; and as of today afternoon, its centre was over the northeastern parts of Zimbabwe, near Cahora-Bassa.
This Overland Depression is moving westward along the Zambezi Valley, causing heavy rain along its path.
However, the extent of its cloud cover and moisture covered much of the country with heavier falls along the Eastern Highland due to orographic rainfall under the influence of a south-easterly airflow.
As such, the highest falls were at Nyanga (121mm), Chisengu (80mm), Nyamaropa (32mm), Mutare (28mm) and Mukandi (25mm).
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, WEDNESDAY 26 JANUARY 2022:
Heavy rains (in excess 50mm) and strong winds are expected in Mashonaland West and Manicaland Provinces.
Harare Metropolitan Midlands provinces, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Masvingo and all Matabeleland provinces; are anticipated to have light rains and moderate to strong winds.
It should be mostly cloudy and mild across the country.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility, and induce localized flash flooding in areas with poor drainage.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream.
- Destructive winds may result in trees falling and blown-off of rooftops.
- Some dams are filled to capacity; this can cause downstream flooding should the dams overspill.
- Heavy downpours may reduce visibility and flood dangers become difficult to perceive during heavy rains.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- The public is advised to stay away from the swollen rivers and not to drive through floodwaters as just 30cm of flowing water is enough to sweep away a vehicle.
- Clearance of waterways and drainages helps reduce the impacts of heavy rains.
- Ensure rooftops are secure by checking nails that may be loose.
- Secure all loose items that are outside, where possible place them in safe storage space.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Partly cloudy (Temperatures – 17/25)
- Kariba: Cloudy with heavy rains (Temperatures – 19/27)
- Great Zimbabwe: Mostly cloudy with light rains (Temperatures – 15/23)
- Nyanga: Cloudy with heavy rains – 13/18)
- Vumba: Cloudy with heavy rains (Temperatures – 12/20)
- Matopos: Mostly cloudy with light rains (Temperatures – 12/20)
- Chimanimani: Cloudy with heavy rains (Temperatures – 12/17)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR THURSDAY 27 JANUARY 2022;
Generally, light rains, with windy, cloudy and mild conditions are anticipated countrywide.
Localized heavier falls (above 30mm) remain probable especially in parts of Manicaland and Mashonaland West provinces due to remnant moisture.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department