ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON THURSDAY 20 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL SATURDAY 22 JANUARY 2022.
Yesterday, Wednesday 19 January, generally light rain and thunderstorms occurred to the north of the main watershed, however, heavy downpours were at Kanyemba (65mm), Guruve (30mm)and Mvurwi(25mm).
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, FRIDAY 21 JANUARY 2022:
Matabeleland South, Harare Metropolitan, Bulawayo Metropolitan, southern parts of Midlands, Masvingo and southern areas of Manicaland provinces; It should be windy, briefly cloudy and mild; while the remaining provinces (Matabeleland North, northern areas of the Midlands, all Mashonaland Provinces and Manicaland province ) are expected to be mostly cloudy and warm with isolated thunderstorms. Mild morning and evening conditions are anticipated.
- Such sultry (hot and humid) weather is conducive to thunderstorms that are violent at times (accompanied by lightning and strong winds).
- Rainfall distribution is not very uniform with some areas not receiving any meaningful rains.
- High temperatures may lead to dehydration and exhaustion.
- Mosquitoes proliferate during this season.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Irrigation is advisable especially in areas where plant stress is noticed
- It is therefore important not to be caught in the open during a thunderstorm. Avoid sheltering under a tree or in isolated sheds as these are prone to lightning strikes.
- Keep hydrated by drinking adequate amounts of water.
- Persons in Malaria prone areas should take necessary precautions (insecticide spraying, applying mosquito repellents, sleeping under mosquito nets).
- Do not be found outdoor in Thunder; lightning may lay you asunder.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 19/30)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 22/32)
- Great Zimbabwe: Warm with scattered clouds (Temperatures – 16/28)
- Nyanga: Warm with scattered clouds – 13/19)
- Vumba: Warm with scattered clouds (Temperatures – 16/26)
- Matopos: Warm with scattered clouds (Temperatures – 14/25)
- Chimanimani: Warm with scattered clouds (Temperatures – 15/26)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR SATURDAY 22 JANUARY 2022:
It should be cloudy across the whole country with isolated showers that could be thundery in places.
Warm conditions are expected in areas to the north of the main watershed while areas along and to the south are anticipated to be mild and windy for much of the day.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department