ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON SUNDAY 16 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL TUESDAY 18 JANUARY 2022.
The moisture currently over coupled with more moisture carried by winds from the south-east coast of Southern Africa resulted in notable rainfall in areas along the main watershed, namely Chishawasha (61mm), Murehwa (47mm), Marondera (47mm), Gwangwava (31mm), Warren Park in Harare (31mm), Kutsaga (30mm), Mvurwi (28mm), Bulawayo (27mm) Shurugwi, Parkinson Secondary School (26mm).
However, in the wake of these south-easterly winds, only light rain fell over the bulk of provinces such as Masvingo, Matabeleland South and southern areas of Manicaland (areas to the south of the main watershed).
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, MONDAY 17 JANUARY 2022:
It should be cloudy and warm over much of the country, though mild both morning and evening.
Thunderstorms, with localized downpours, are expected in provinces such as Matabeleland North, Mashonaland West, Mashonaland Central, northern parts of Mashonaland East and Manicaland; while light rains remain probable over Harare Metropolitan, Midlands, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South and Masvingo Provinces.
- Visibility may also be compromised during heavy storms.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
- Heavy rains may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
- Some dams (including Tokwe-Mukosi) are 100% full, this can cause downstream flooding should the dams overspill.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Do not cross flooded rivers and swollen streams whether on foot or in a vehicle as just 30cm of flowing water is enough to sweep away a vehicle.
- Avoid driving on a road covered by water especially at night or during downpours when it is more difficult to recognize flood dangers. Even if no heavy rains have occurred in your area, they may have occurred upstream
- Be Weather-ready; always plan with the weather in mind.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 18/30)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 23/31)
- Great Zimbabwe: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 18/28)
- Nyanga: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain – 12/22)
- Vumba: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 18/26)
- Matopos: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 17/26)
- Chimanimani: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 16/22)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR TUESDAY 18 JANUARY 2022:
Cloudy, windy and mild conditions are expected over the bulk of the country with a generally southeasterly airflow; while thunderstorms should still prevail in Manicaland, the northern parts of Mashonaland East, Mashonaland Central, Mashonaland West and northern districts of Matabeleland North, light intermittent rain is anticipated in all other areas, namely Harare Metropolitan, Midlands, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South and Masvingo Provinces.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department