ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON WEDNESDAY 12 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL FRIDAY 14 JANUARY 2022.
It was cloudy over much of the country, with scattered thunderstorms in areas along and north of the main watershed.
Notable falls were at Hwange (104mm), Binga (73mm), Gweru (70mm), Chinhoyi (64mm), Rusape (54mm), Belvedere (43mm), Nkayi (41mm), Tsholotsho (38mm), Mount Darwin (37mm), Gokwe (37mm), Kwekwe (32mm) and Victoria Falls (31mm) yesterday.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, THURSDAY 13 JANUARY 2022:
Matabeleland North, northern parts of Midlands, Harare Metropolitan, all Mashonaland Provinces and Manicaland Province should expect cloudy conditions with scattered thunderstorms. It should be mild at first becoming warm by afternoon with predominantly north-easterly airflow.
(Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South, south areas of Midlands and Masvingo Provinces). These areas are anticipated to be mild in the morning becoming warn by noon with brief cloudy periods and isolated afternoon thundershowers.
- Visibility may also be compromised during heavy downpours.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
- Heavy downpours may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing flooded rivers and swollen streams whether on foot or in a vehicle.
- Avoid driving on a road covered by water especially at night when it is more difficult to recognize flood dangers.
- The public is advised to stay away from swollen rivers and not to drive through floodwaters as just 30cm of flowing water is enough to sweep away a vehicle.
- Clearance of waterways and drainages, ahead of time, helps reduce the impacts of heavy rains.
- Be Weather-ready; always plan with the weather in mind.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 19/27)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 23/29)
- Great Zimbabwe: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 19/32)
- Nyanga: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain – 13/23)
- Vumba: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 14/23)
- Matopos: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 17/30)
- Chimanimani: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 14/26)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR FRIDAY 14 JANUARY 2022:
Widespread rain showers which could be thundery in places are expected countrywide under cloudy and warm conditions.
Localised downpours (in excess of 30mm) remain probable over areas along the main watershed. It should be mild both in the morning and evening.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department