The Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) has granted a request by the Zimbabwe National Karate Federation to organise the Kurai Karate Invitation Tournament at the Chitungwiza Aquatic Complex on the 30th of October 2021.
In a letter dated 15 October 2021 and addressed to the president of the Zimbabwe National Karate Federation, SRC acting secretary, Brian Chekuda Hodza outlined the COVID-19 protocols that should be put in place during the tournament. The letter reads:
RE: APPROVAL TO ORGANIZE THE KARATE TOURNAMENT THE KURAI KARATE INVITATION TOURNAMENT ON THE 30th OF OCTOBER 2021
We refer to the above matter;
The Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) hereby gives you notice, following your application, that the Minister of Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation has APPROVED and granted a special waiver for your application to organize the Karate tournament the Kurai Karate Invitation Tournament at the Chitungwiza Aquatic Complex on the 30th of October 2021.
The activities shall, in addition to the requirements specified in Statutory Instrument 228B of 2021, World Health Organization guidelines on safe resumption of sport, your approved protocols, national legislation and policy directives, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), International Federation protocols relating to the prevention and containment of COVID-19, be subject to the following conditions:
- All athletes, including children aged 14 and above, are encouraged to have been vaccinated and organizers to provide relevant vaccination certificates and statistics to SRC,
- All athletes, including children under the age of 14 years are to adhere to all Covid-19 protocols as appropriate,
- All athletes, coaches and officials to produce negative Covid-19 test results taken 48 hours before the event and submit copies to SRC,
- All staff at respective venues to have been vaccinated before the tournaments,
- All coaches and managers involved in the tournaments to have been vaccinated,
- Participants to observe strict social distancing throughout the lead up to as well as during the tournaments,
- NO spectators will be allowed entry into and around the venues. Only event staff directly involved in the organization of tournament matches will gain entry into the stadia,
- Compliance officers and event staff at each venue to be present at the entry point for registration and sanitization of participants, record temperature and generally observe for Covid-19 symptoms.
- All participants to strictly adhere to WHO and MoHCC protocols for mitigating the spread of Covid-19,
- All participants to have face masks on hand and use hand sanitiser – face masks to be worn if warranted by physical distancing constraints,
- Physical distancing of +2m to be observed when not in active participation,
- Regular wiping and cleaning of equipment and facility surfaces with an alcohol-based sanitiser,
- Sharing of water bottles and other personal items is strictly prohibited,
- Organisers to sensitize and educate all participants, venue operators and accommodation providers about Covid-19 through various media such as signage, flyers, posters etc.
- Be guided by the Ministry of Health and Child Care on local health measures and Government declarations on the level of lockdown at the time of the tournaments.
- Be guided by the Ministry of Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage who control and facilitate the movement of people into, out of and within the country.
Please note that these COVID-19 preventative and containment measures must be observed at all times and SRC expect full compliance from all your members.
Enforcement Officers will monitor compliance with the stipulated conditions and any violation may result in the withdrawal of the authority and other sanctions as provided by law.
The athletes and officials will be required to observe and abide by the COVID-19 preventative measures failure of which will result in the approval being immediately cancelled. All enquiries should be directed to the SRC in writing.
The SRC Harare office will be activated to monitor the event and to provide any technical assistance you may so require.