The two most popular clubs in Zimbabwe, Dynamos, and Highlanders have unveiled the USD multimillion Sakunda sponsorship deal.
The deal was announced at the Meikles Hotel in Harare today. As part of the sponsorship, the two clubs will each get US $1 million a year for 3 years.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
The deal stipulates that Sakunda Holdings will:
- pay salaries for the players and technical team to the tune of US$ 420 000.
- pay sign-on fees, amounting to $60 000
- operational and administrative expenses of US$60 000.
- pay a bonus of $200 000 to any of the two teams if they win the league
- provide cars will to coaches and captains of the 2 teams
News that the deal would be announced this week broke out a few days ago, with activists calling on the 2 clubs to reject the sponsorship as Sakunda has been implicated in some corruption activities in the country.
Sakunda Holdings is owned by a businessman called Kudakwashe Tagwirei. The man has been accused of corruptly amassing a fortune at the expense of the Zimbabwean taxpayer.
At the sponsorship announcement event, Sakunda also revealed that it had donated houses worth US$90 000 each to football legends Moses Chunga and Madinda Ndlovu. The two football legends who were present at the event got