Seven people died on the spot while 13 others were injured on Sunday when a car laden with horticultural produce was involved in an accident along Selbourne-Aberfoyle Road near Hauna Growth Point.
Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi released the statement below:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
FATAL ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT – HONDE VALLEY
The Zimbabwe Republic Police confirms the death of seven (07) people in a fatal road traffic accident which occurred on 29th August 2021 at about 1800 hours, in Honde Valley.
Circumstances are that a 35-year-old male adult was driving a Mercedes Benz Ateco truck, along Selbourne-Aberfoyle Road with 23 passengers on board and 65 bags of bananas.
On approaching the 30 km peg, the driver failed to negotiate a curve and lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle veered off the road, overturned once and landed on its side.
Seven (07) passengers died on the spot while 13 others were seriously injured. The bodies were ferried to Hauna District Hospital for post mortem while the injured were referred to the same institution for treatment.
The bodies have since been identified by their next of kin as follows:
- Gracious Musuka, a male adult aged 49 of Sagambe Village,
- Judah Katamabarare, a male adult aged 32 of Katambarare Village, Honde Valley.
- Tendai Moses Mangemba, a male adult aged 48 of Muterere Village, Honde Valley.
- Tsitsi Makwiyana, a female juvenile aged 14 of Eastern Highlands Plantation, Honde Valley
- Abel Rutope, a male adult aged 24 Katambarare Village, Honde Valley.
- Ethel Jenjani, a female adult aged 41 of Eastern Highlands Plantation, Honde Valley.
- Sarah Njumira, a female adult aged 44 of Murara Village, Honde Valley.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police discourages motorists from mixing passengers and farm produce.
Above all, farmers are urged to plan journeys and ensure safety on the roads.
It is sad that some drivers are speeding in situations that endanger lives on the roads.