A Harare man who impersonated being a Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA) officer appeared in court Wednesday facing 19 rape charges.
The accused, Sam Muropa, 31, appeared before Harare magistrate, Dennis Mangosi who advised him to apply for bail at the High Court.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
The fake soldier was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody to September 18, 2021.
The police said more complainants were still filing charges against Muropa.
January 2021 to July 2021
- Muropa and his accomplices committed a spate of armed robbery cases in greater Harare and used the proceeds to buy an Audi A4 registration AFA 0272.
27 July 2021
- The first complainant boarded a silver Toyota Wish with three occupants including Muropa intending to get into town. They took US$600 from her handbag, covered her face with a cloth and dumped her close to Chikurubi Maximum Security Prison where she was assisted by prison wardens.
July 29, 2021
- The gang also robbed another complainant of $US20 cash and valuables worth US$170.
- The gang ferried a passenger, assaulted her before Muropa raped her at a bushy area near Nharira Farm in Norton. He was without protection. Muropa then stole her iPhone and Samsung J4 Plus, national identity card, and US$13 before dumping her, and she was assisted by sympathisers.
- The gang picked another female and attempted to rape her but only had oral sex after the victim told Muropa she was HIV positive. They stole money amounting to US$105, Samsung phone, HP laptop, USB, and hard drive. The accused person threw the complainant’s handbag through the passenger window and ordered her to disembark while naked. She lost property worth US$590 and property worth US$200 has been recovered.
- The gang picked another passenger in Kuwadzana and drove to Bulawayo Road where they suddenly attacked her while in their vehicle. They took valuables worth US$84, forced her to undress and masturbate for about 20 minutes threatening to rape her if she did not comply with their orders. They later dumped her 20 meters away from a railway in Tynwald.
- The gang ferried two sisters at Oriel Girls High in Chisipite intending to get in town. They were forced to undress and masturbate while the suspects went through their belongings. They stole US$93, a handbag, wallet, blower, braids, identification particulars, and cellphones before dumping them.
- 2 women from Budiriro were allegedly raped by Muropa on different occasions.
- Muropa later raped another woman in Westwood without protection before stealing her belongings and dumping her.
- The gang picked the complainant who they later left naked near Zindoga shopping centre in Waterfalls after stealing valuables worth US$842 from her. Only a Covid -19 vaccination card in her name has been recovered.
- They picked another victim from Highlands, blindfolded and raped her from Highlands to Hatfield without protection. They dumped her and drove along North Road. She managed to identify Muropa at an identification parade. She lost property worth US$120 and nothing was recovered.
16 August 16
- The complainant was robbed of goods worth US$520 and nothing was recovered.
- Muropa is arrested, searched and found in possession of a ZNA military police identity card in the name of Thilli Adnico and a ZNA ID in the name of Pride N Elate Mutembedza. Muropa also impersonated Norman Chimuka, who is a lawyer.
Muropa is represented by Tinashe Mbala.