Acting Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni has said six alleged instigators behind last week’s violent unrest in South Africa have been arrested.
The unrest was triggered by the arrest and incarceration of former President Jacob Zuma over refusal to testify before the Zondo Commission of Enquiry that is investigating state capture.
Speaking at a media briefing in Pretoria on Monday, Ntshavheni said:
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
This is the latest update which we just got in now, three already appeared in court but were remanded in custody for bail hearings. Charges against them include incitement to commit public violence and the arrests that we are referring to are not related to the arrests in regards to the looting.
She added that the police were working with community members to ensure those responsible for looting were nabbed.
Her remarks come after Police Minister Bheki Cele announced last week that they were following 12 people who instigated the violence.
President Cyril Ramaphosa insinuated that the violent protests that were mainly in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces were a calculated move to revolt against his government.
His remarks were echoed by Minister Ntshavheni who said last week’s violence was planned, orchestrated and instigated to undermine the authority of the state.
Ntshavheni said warning reports about the riots which were received were acted upon on time. She added:
Lessons that have to be learnt have been learnt and the gaps have been picked up and corrective measures have been taken to avoid a lapse in the situation.
Meanwhile, Ntshavheni said the situation in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng has stabilised, with no new incidents of looting reported lately.