The Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) has said businesses were enjoying fake stability that was based on the enslavement of workers.
The workers’ union also criticised businesses for allegedly colluding with the government by supporting policies that hurt the workers.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
ZCTU speaks as industry has flatly rejected Statutory Instrument 127 of 2021 that was issued by President Emmerson Mnangagwa last week to regulate the use and trading of foreign currency in the country.
- Industry Sends Warning Signals On SI 127 Of 2021 On Forex
- RBZ: Some Points To Note On SI 127 Of 2021 On Forex
- ZIMRA Warns Businesses Against Misquoting Currency Used In Transactions
- PAYE In Foreign Currency And Local Currency
- All Tax Payers Without Valid Tax Clearance Are Deemed To Have Tax Clearance Certificates Expiring On 28 February – ZIMRA
- Stop Wasting Taxpayers’ Money On Zimbabwe’s Elections – US Senate To The US Govt
- No Taxpayer Funds Will Be Used To Compensate White Commercial Farmers – ED
The workers’ union adds that the government and businesses are teaming up against workers. Pindula News present ZCTU’s statement below.
SI 127 exposes the dangers of a government that collude with businesses to exploit the poor especially the workers. Businesses have been lobbying the government to continue with an economic policy that is hurting the poor because they are benefiting at the expense of workers.
Businesses were enjoying a fake stability & fake capacity utilisation increases based on enslaving workers & redistribution of productivity gains from other producers like subsistence farmers. Workers earn in RTGS & have to pay a USD premium of over 40% to buy goods & services.
For workers it is double jeopardy, repression from government & exploitation from businesses The government is beholden to its business cronies and when it attempts to control, it is shown the middle finger When elephant fight unfortunately it is the grass that suffers.
More: Pindula News