The family of the late former President Robert Mugabe is set to meet over the order by Chief Zvimba that directed the exhumation and reburial of the veteran leader’s remains.
The traditional leader argued that the Mugabe family had committed a taboo by burying Mugabe “in a house,” therefore, his remains must be exhumed and reburied at the National Heroes Acre in Harare.
Mugabe had reportedly refused to be buried at the shrine where most heroes of the liberation struggle are buried with the family saying he was bitter about the way he was removed from office and did not want the people who “betrayed him” to preside over his funeral.
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
His nephew, Leo Mugabe, who also the family spokesperson confirmed the meeting slated for Zvimba. He said:
_The family will meet over the weekend on a way forward. This is the Karigamombe family, the immediate family._
_The whole thing was pre-planned well in advance. Manongovere is from Chiyangwa’s constituency and a member of DCC. I hope that the government will not be dragged into this madness and accept the chief’s judgement._
_They [the chief and the government] are the ones who were pushing for the Heroes’ Acre and the immediate family was saying ‘No’, we must follow the late president’s wish. They won’t bury him at the Heroes’ Acre._
Leo would not be drawn into disclosing the names of the attendants.
Ironically, in a video article we, Pindula News, posted in 2019, Leo claimed that his uncle “never rejected” burial at the National Heroes Acre.
The bid for the exhumation and reburial of Mugabe was initiated by Tinos Manongovere who claims to be a relative to Mugabe.
He is also a Zanu PF Mashonaland West district coordinating committee (DCC) member, where Chiyangwa is a member of parliament.
- ‘Chief Zvimba’s Judgement On Mugabe Reburial Not Final’
- Madhuku: Mugabe Reburial Order Outrageous And Unlawful
- Govt ‘Annoyed’ By Links To Mugabe Reburial Efforts – Mangwana
- Mugabe’s Sceptre Was Handed Over To Kasukuwere – Zivhu
- Chief Zvimba Disowns Grace Mugabe Summons
- Mnangagwa Behind Push To Exhume Mugabe, He Wants ‘Mystic Tsvimbo’, Says Zhuwawo
- WATCH: Zhuwao Speaks On Uncle Robert Mugabe’s Exhumation
- “Robert Mugabe Must Be Reburied,” Grace Summoned To Court