A total of 8 United Kingdom-based Zimbabwean-born politicians have won top political posts in the British elections in the last 12 months.
So far, two Zimbabwean-born have won the mayorship posts, one (Maggie Chapman who last week announced her oath in pure ChiShona) won the MP post while the rest are councillors.
Their ages range from 22 with the oldest being 56-year-old. The youngest, Nicolle Moyo last week told ZimEye she hadn’t even graduated when she discovered she has won the polls in the just-ended elections.
Below is the full list so far, comprising 6 women and 2 men:
- Amanda Tandi, 47 -. Councillor, District Of Knebworth.
- Nicolle Nkazimulo Moyo, 22 – Councillor. Peterborough.
- Lorraine Chirisa, 45 – Councillor, Northampton.
- Tafadzwa Chikoto, 45 – Councillor, Oakley, Corby
- Kate Nicoll, 33. – Mayor: Belfast.
- Alice Mpofu Coles, 56 – Councillor, Whitley, Reading.
- Adam Jogee, 30. – Mayor, Harringey.
- Maggie Chapman, 41, MP for North East Scotland.
- Zimbabwean-born Cllr Kate Nicholl Is The Next Belfast Lord Mayor
- WATCH: Zim-born Scottish MP Maggie Chapman Takes Her Affirmation In Shona