The driver of a two-tonne vehicle sustained minor burns when the car caught fire while refuelling in Zvishavane on Monday night.
While the car was reduced to ashes, the driver, Mr John Mhike who sustained minor burns has since been discharged from hospital after receiving medical attention.
The incident was confirmed by Zvishavane chief fire officer, Mr Rerai Muchera who said the fire team reacted swiftly and managed to put out the blaze before it could spread to other parts of the service station. He said:
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
We managed to avert a potential disaster at a service station last night. We responded to a call that a truck, which was refuelling at the garage had caught fire and we rushed to the scene.
When we got there motorists that were at the garage were in a panic while the truck was engulfed in flames. We managed to put out the fire before it could spread around the garage but the truck was reduced to a shell.
Meanwhile, the owner of Tafa Service Station near Zvishavane District Hospital where the incident took place there was no fuel at the garage at the time in question.
The owner also told the fire department that there were fuel dealers selling fuel to motorists who come and park at the garage intending to re-fuel.
Mr Machera added that the cause of the fire was yet to be established.
More: The Herald