The ruling party Zanu PF in Bulawayo is planning for the indefinitely suspended council by-elections as it emerged that yesterday at a Provincial Coordinating Committee (PCC) meeting they selected 9 candidates to represent the party in the council by-elections when they will be conducted, The Sunday News reports.
The 9 council seats to be replaced fell vacant after the court resurrected MDC T 2014 structures recalled 8 Councilors from Bulawayo and one more council seat fell vacant following the death of the elected councilor.
This was confirmed by Zanu-PF Bulawayo Province Secretary for Information and Publicity Cde Canaan Ncube who spoke after the PCC meeting and said:
We have what we call a selection of who will represent us. The most important thing is to realise that Bulawayo is in the midst of several major crises. It needs councillors that are genuine, councillors that will stand for the city and take it back to its past glory.
That’s what we want and that’s what we had in mind when we selected the men and women that are going to represent us. We want them to take Bulawayo back to what it was. That’s the most important thing.
According to Ncube the candidate to fill the vacant seats in the council by-elections are:
- Gwinyai Mucheki will represent the party in Ward 3 while
- Jairos Maropa will stand in Ward 8.
- In Ward 18, Enock Madzimure
- Phumulani Nsingo will stand in Ward 19.
- Admire Masikati will contest in Ward 9
- Mary Ncube will do so in Ward 12
- Dennis Sibanda will be the Zanu-PF candidate in Ward 20
- Sailas Chirosho will stand in Ward 21.
- Ward 26, Cde Lungisani Sibanda
More: The Sunday News