The Minister of National Housing and Social Amenities, Daniel Garwe has said the government is crafting a roadmap to ensure that people have habitable settlements, insisting that no houses will be demolished in the process.
He made the remarks while addressing stakeholders in Gweru this Friday during which he hinted on revoking permits of corrupt land developers. The minister said:
If we are to develop Zimbabwe, we must agree to put a stop to informal settlements. One reason we have such is because of land barons who were supposed to develop the areas but pocketed the money. One thing I want to assure you is that we are going to revoke the permits of these land barons. I also want to assure you that no house is going to be demolished. We have the funding to regularise all this.
Unsuspecting land seekers have for years now been losing their hard-earned money after being tricked by land barons into buying land at undesignated sites.
Only recently, the army demolished houses that had been erected near the National Heroes Acre arguing that the “houses had been allocated at the army base land and some councillors had corruptly allocated houses.”
More: ZBC News