Several organisations have reportedly chipped in to help the City of Harare to extinguish a fire at Pomona dumpsite that was first seen close to a week ago on Friday, The Herald reports.
These are some of the organisations and individuals that have helped the city fathers extinguish the infamous fire:
- The Air Force of Zimbabwe provided a fire tender to boost the fire fighting teams’ effectiveness at the site
- a group of residents are also actively sourcing equipment, fuel and water to help the fire-fighting teams.
- Horbax Trading (Pvt) Ltd and Orca Water that have provided water bowsers
- Others also provided front end loaders and tippers.
- Mashwede Holdings mobilised a tipper truck and 100 litres of diesel
- Trek donated 400 litres of diesel
A Mt Pleasant resident Hellen Davidson who spoke to the publication said the initiative received so much support.
We have had amazing support from various companies and organisations. So far a total of 1 200 litres of diesel have been paid for while $27 000 cash donations have been handed over.
EMA reportedly toured the area with journalists yesterday and EMA’s provincial environmental manager for Harare Metropolitan Province, Mr Robson Mavondo blamed the city for the fire and said they had poor waste management structures.
More: The Herald